28 October 2007

Nurses are Sick, but also quite Generous

Here is the first non hat or scarf crocheting project Ive ever completed. It was begun at a nursing conference where I was inspired by the sub-zero temperatures in all the presentation rooms.
Naturally, Lori began speaking right away about how much she wishes someone would make her a blanket like that...with those gorgeous colors. And the edge.

So, I presented it to her yesterday as an early Christmas present. Nurses are generous.




This picture was taken at work, where the gift-giving was to occur. There was talk of setting up a dummy isolation room and taking turns posing with the blanket wrapped around us in our Lovely Yellow Gowns, but there were no empty rooms.

See, if you were a nurse, you would think that was funny. Nurses are sick.

The down side to giving Lori her gift now is that I will most likely end up making or buying her something else before Christmas arrives. The up side is that I now have one less thing to worry about getting rid of before we move.
Im looking around at all the "stuff" Ive accumulated throughout my 38 years on this planet and I pray for the strength to part with most of it. They say it's quite freeing...having nothing. I have to say I dont know what that kind of freedom feels like, but Im finding myself more and more of late, as much as the notion scares me, drawn toward finding out.

I can honestly say that if every "thing" I own were to be taken from me in an instant, as long as my family and loved-ones were safe and well, the first thing I would feel, before I had a chance to become sentimental, would be relief. I think that says something about my current state of affairs and what needs to be done.

I pray for the strength to do it. To find meaning in and inhabit the shedding of "stuff".

More on this later, as Im off to work.

Blessed Sunday,
d

No comments: